Online counseling and coaching are typically done via videoconferencing, supplemented by secure messaging and possibly telephone conversations. Some clients work with their counselors or coaches entirely online, some do a mix of online and face-to-face sessions. Is it for you?
Some of the advantages of online service delivery:
- You can keep appointments in spite of weather
- You can see your provider from the comfort of home
- You can work with your provider when you’re out of town
- You can receive services in remote and rural areas
Some of the negatives associated with online service delivery:
- You are not comfortable using the technology
- You do not have adequate computer equipment
- Your internet connection is not fast enough
- You are in crisis or need face to face contact
- Your insurance may not cover online services
You can test whether your internet connection is fast enough for video chat by clicking the following link (you can optionally also try a video demo session):
If you’re interested in signing up for online counseling or coaching services, you can access the Breakthrough site on the Client Logins page. I am a member of the International Society for Mental Health Online.